2.6.x with no X on a U5

I've been having pretty bad luck lately getting a 2.6.{4,5} kernel to give
me working X on my Ultra5.

Starting with the stock 2.6.4 and 2.6.5 kernel sources, I did a config of
my own, and then did some digging and began to tweak the configs mentioned
here in the archives:

http://www.iei.tu-clausthal.de/misc-stuff/sparclinux/

http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm/configs/kernel/2.6.x/

After no luck with my changes, I reverted back to the supplied configs
(made oldconfig where necessary), but still didn't have any luck.

My configs live here:

http://www.valites.net/kernel_configs

After booting, my X server just doesn't seem to want to start & errors out
on loading the ati module. I haven't changed a thing from the working
XF86-Config4 from my 2.4.18 setup, which also can be found at:

http://www.valites.net/kernel_configs

Is there something I need to change in my XF86-Config when going to 2.6?

--
Mark T. Valites
Unix Systems Analyst