Re: Debian 64-bit binaries

On Sat, Mar 06, 2004 at 09:03:45PM +0100, Igmar Palsenberg wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I've got Debian running on a 64 bit Sparc box. The userland is however
> still 32 bits, and that restriction has been lifted in 2.4.25. Is there
> any plan to recompile userland to 64 bits ?
>
> I'm willing to spends a few weekends recompining, but i'm not so familiar
> with the dpkg system. Anyone ?

No, 64-bit is slower and larger than 32-bit userland. The only thing you
need 64-bit binaries for are things like large databases where you need
to address more than 4gigs of memory.

You can however install libc6-dev-sparc64 and build 64-bit programs all
you want.

--
Debian     - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://www.linux1394.org/