Re: Building custom kernel

<snip>

> (Where /usr/src/linux is a symlink to /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.25)
>
> I don't understand why it hangs at the end.  make -d menuconfig didn't seem
> to reveal anything useful either.  Ideas?

I've just been here myself. The following works for me :

- Install the kernel source in /usr/src and symlink it

- Verify your gcc can spit out the right stuff :

test.c :

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
   return 0;
}

guru:~# gcc -o test test.c
guru:~# file test
test: ELF 64-bit MSB executable, SPARC V9, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux
2.4.18, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

guru:~# sparc-linux-gcc -o test test.c
guru:~# file test
test: ELF 32-bit MSB executable, SPARC, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux
2.2.0, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

If the above is the same for you, then :

- vi the Makefile, and change

HOSTCC         = gcc
HOSTCC          = sparc-linux-gcc

- Run make menuconfig, make dep; make vmlinuz, and do the usuall install
stuff.

I end up with :

guru:/usr/src/linux# file vmlinux
vmlinux: ELF 64-bit MSB executable, SPARC V9, version 1 (SYSV), statically
linked, not stripped

After booting that, I can also run 64 bit binaries, so when you actually
run it, the above hack isn't necessary anymore :

guru:~# gcc -o test test.c
.guru:~# ./test
foo
guru:~# file test
test: ELF 64-bit MSB executable, SPARC V9, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux
2.4.18, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

	Regards,

		Igmar