RE: procps doesn't buildd - /lib versus /lib64

Starting with Solaris 7 (IIRC), Sun introduced 64 Solaris (and I realize
that's a simplification as it was implemented in layers).

I'm a little unclear as to the difference between SPARCv9 and 64bit.  I
thought they were the same thing.  If you look at the SPARCv9 architecture
specs:  http://www.sparc.com/standards/SPARCV9.pdf, it states that SPARC-V9
introduces 64bit addressing.  Ben pointed out to me though that (if I
understood correctly) the sparcv9 in the Linux/gcc sense is just optimized
for the Sun UltraSPARC (sun4u) processor.

If you look under Solaris (>=7):
There is /usr/lib and /usr/lib/64 is a symlink to /usr/lib/sparcv9:
file /usr/lib/libc:
/usr/lib/libc.so.1:     ELF 32-bit MSB dynamic lib SPARC Version 1,
dynamically linked, not stripped

file /usr/lib/sparcv9/libc.so.1 (or /usr/lib/64/libc.so.1):
/usr/lib/sparcv9/libc.so.1:     ELF 64-bit MSB dynamic lib SPARCV9 Version
1, dynamically linked, not stripped

However, this is not the case everywhere.  While there is a /usr/bin/sparcv9
and /kernel/drv/sparcv9 (and many more:  grep sparcv9
/var/sadm/install/contents), there are no /usr/bin/64 or /kernel/drv/64
links.  I did notice though (and it's documented) that every binary/library
in the sparcv9 directories is 64bit.

I've never had to delve into this under Solaris--it just works.  The only
quirk is that if you compile a kernel module under gcc for a 64bit kernel,
you need to specify -m64 (as mentioned on the list).

The first time I got bit by this is trying to get the bridge-utils to work
under Linux on an UltraSPARC, so I'm trying to get a handle on it.  In fact,
there are some interesting conversations going on at the bridge development
list.  Anyway, I hope this helps.  Obviously I don't have the expertise
necessary to contribute to this discussion.  It's very interesting though.
Definitely seems like it will become a more common problem in the near
future.

<> Jim