Re: 2.6 kernel packages available

> Let me know how these do. Once 2.6.2 goes final, they will be uploaded
> to the archive. These are based on 2.6.2-rc3, and they do require
> silo-1.4.4.

Hi all,

I tried the 2.6.2 on my Ultra 10/ATI PCI graphics/Type6 us
keyboard. The current working-kernel here is 2.4.20.

At first, I had trouble getting the keyboard runnning on the console,
but dpkg-reconfigure console-data did the job.

Next, X didn't start up. I applied some sfprintf-patch in some
pci-file noted on this mailing list and recompiled the kernel based on
the configuration you provide. Reason: the mouse device in
XF86Config-4 pointed to /dev/sunmouse. This was fine with
kernel-2.4.20, but doesn't work at all with 2.6.2. Solution: I use
/dev/input/mice now.

Excerpt from XF86Config-4:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "Protocol"              "BusMouse"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
EndSection
[...]
Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier      "Default Layout"
        Screen          "Default Screen"
        InputDevice     "Generic Keyboard"
        InputDevice     "Configured Mouse"
        InputDevice     "Generic Mouse"
EndSection

Then X did start up, but the keyboard was screwed up. The
configuration for 2.4.20 was

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "keyboard"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "sun"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "type5"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "us"
EndSection

but this does not work at all for 2.6.2. Fix: I use

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "keyboard"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection
instead. However, this does not solve the problem completely; some
keys are wrong w.r.t. 2.4.20 (eg, Meta, the function keys 'Stop',
'Open', and so on). This is quite a problem when using emacs and I'm
so used on the nice function keys by now.

On the other way around, I can not use the 2.6.2 variant of
XF86Config-4 for the 2.4.20 kernel.

Any ideas how to a) get the type6 keyboard really working and b) how
to use a single XF86Config-4 file for both kernels?

Have fun,
     d.