mouse configuration ultra 60

Strange issues with mouse.  It went from working to quit working and I don't
know why.  I figured out how to get my console working with the su serial
driver in the kernel options. (also need console on serial option so I had
to recompile twice...stupid me)

Now the mouse quit working in X.  here is what I have to do:

Current configuration
Kernel 2.4.21
-----
/dev/mouse -> /dev/sunmouse
-----
XF86Config-4:
Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Configured Mouse"
	Driver		"mouse"
	Option		"CorePointer"
	Option		"Device"		"/dev/mouse"
	Option		"Protocol"	"BusMouse"
EndSection
-----
Dmesg |grep -I mouse
Su(mouse) at 0x1fff13062f8 (irq = 4,7ea) is a 16550A
Sun Mouse-Systems mouse driver version 1.00
Mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
Sunmouse: Successfully adjusted to 1200 baud.

2.6 configuration
kernel 2.6.1
---
/dev/mouse -> input/mouse0
---

XF86Config-4:
Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Mouse0"
	Driver		"mouse"
	Option		"Protocol" "auto"
	Option		"Device" "/dev/mouse"
EndSection
---
dmesg |grep -I mouse

mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
input: Sun Mouse on su/serio0

thanks for any help.
-Bill