Re: debian kernel image packages (was: Re: Neither SBUS nor PCI (again))

On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 02:11:23PM +0100, Thomas 'Mike' Michlmayr wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 14:55:53 +0200,
> D Lambrou <dlambrou@crazylinux.net> wrote:
> [...]
> > Well you can use any kernel from kernel.org
> > So the latest is 2.4.24 or 2.6.1.
>
> thanks, i knew that. but that's beside the point. part of the reason that
> i'm running debian is because i don't want to have to do that sort of
> thing on my production machine(s).
>
> i have to say that i find it interesting (in the chinese sense of the
> word) that there have been no updated kernel-images for sparc, where
> the current ones now have two well known security holes, with exploits
> out in the wild.

There's a reason for that, explained in the list archives. Current
kernels are getting too big. Right now SILO only supports kernels up to
3.4Megs uncompressed. I am working on SILO right now (even as I type
this email) to get it to support kernels up to 8Megs.

No sense in releasing kernel packages that wont boot.

--
Debian     - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://www.linux1394.org/