Re: Re (3): [debian-sparc] Re: XFree86 in Woody on sun4c.

Hello,

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 peter_easthope@gulfnet.sd64.bc.ca wrote:

> ea> Which protocol? Do you use gpm also?
>
> Yes.  A few messages back, Ben C. suggested
> gpm.  I attempted to configure it.

I haven't read the whole thread, sorry.

> Aside from XFree86, I have no interest in gpm.
> If XFree86 can work without it, that would
> presumably be a more efficient configuration.

Of course it can.

> Can anyone tell me the "InputDevice" in
> X11/XF86Config-4 for operation without gpm?

Try setting the "Device" to "/dev/sunmouse" and the "Protocol" to
"BusMouse".

> Seems odd that debconf created two "InputDevice"
> sections in XF86Config-4 when configuring xserver.
> Is that a bug in debconf?  In any case, it really
> needs work.

I don't know if that's intended or not. But if some people have several
mice, then there must be several InputDevice sections of type mouse in the
config file. On my laptop, for example, I have the touchpad, the trackpad
(both are seen as only one mouse, a PS/2 one), and an USB mouse (which
will be handled differently).

[...]
> (sun ~ gpm) and (BusMouse ~ XFree) is completely
> non-obvious for me.  Is this documented anywhere?

Apart from reading the source, I don't know where to find the necessary
information.

--
Erwann ABALEA <eabalea@certplus.com> - RSA PGP Key ID: 0x2D0EABD5
-----