Re (3): [debian-sparc] Re: XFree86 in Woody on sun4c.

Erwann,

Thanks for looking at the log and replying.

ea> Which protocol? Do you use gpm also?

Yes.  A few messages back, Ben C. suggested
gpm.  I attempted to configure it.

Aside from XFree86, I have no interest in gpm.
If XFree86 can work without it, that would
presumably be a more efficient configuration.
Can anyone tell me the "InputDevice" in
X11/XF86Config-4 for operation without gpm?

ea> ... this is what I use:

Thanks for the configuration.  Will try it
later in the week.

Seems odd that debconf created two "InputDevice"
sections in XF86Config-4 when configuring xserver.
Is that a bug in debconf?  In any case, it really
needs work.

ea> What is the behaviour, apart from the log file?

Text flashes on the screen for a few milliseconds.
Then the screen goes black for 5 or 10 seconds.
(Polling for mouse?)  Finally the contents of
XFree86.0.log appear on the screen and the bash
prompt comes back.

ea> Just do a 'ps aux' and
   check that the gpm process is still here

Right oh.

ea> - that gpm actually works (move the mouse, try some clicks)

Yes. The mouse works as described in man gpm.

ea> - that the gpm repeater protocol and XFree input protocols
are the same
   (sun for gpm and BusMouse for XFree are)

(sun ~ gpm) and (BusMouse ~ XFree) is completely
non-obvious for me.  Is this documented anywhere?

Thanks for all your help.

Regards,      Peter E.