Re: Floppy on a Blade 100

On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 09:37:19AM +0200, Michael Daum wrote:
> On Monday 28 April 2003 15:41, Ben Collins wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 02:08:07PM +0200, Michael Daum wrote:
> > >  Everything is fine besides the floppy not being detected.
> >
> > Even if you got it detected, it wouldn't work well. Will likely cause
> > the machine to crash or lockup.
> >
> > Floppy has never been supported very well on ultrasparc-linux in general
> > It's not a Debian issue.
>
> Oh that's _very_ bad news! as I wanted to convert half a dozent Sun Blade 100
> from Sun Solaris to Debian Linux.
>
> Wadding thru the debian-sparc archive I find lots of complains about the
> Blades not booting from floppy. Actually that is not my problem. It is already
> installed and up and running. It makes a nice desktop machine. Alas the
> floppy is not working... So even you said that ultralinux made a nice
> desktop for years for you. Didn't you miss a floppy too?

I don't even have floppies at my house. Haven't actually touched one in
years. I didn't even notice that my Blade100 had a floppy drive to be
honest.

You actually have users still clinging to 1.44meg floppies? What the
heck do they put on those things, 22 photos from their digital camera? :)

> Bottom line: no floppy on ultralinux, no conversion :(

For god sakes, man. Force these people into the 21st century. We have
LAN's and email for file swapping. I can't think of one good reason to
have floppies. Use CDR's instead if you need storage.

--
Debian     - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://www.linux1394.org/