Re: Re (2): silo

Having booted linux in the past from Open Firmware (the kernel off of a floppy disk, and that on a mac with buggy Open Firmware that was configured to HIDE open firmware during the entire boot process) I think that it should be possible to have a kernel sit on a UFS filesystem, and then have open firmware load the kernel from a UFS filesystem, no?

While I can't see much use for this, I guess there are some underlying questions that might be valid.

1) why do we need to load a bootloader from open firmware? Is this just some program that lets us load a kernel from a non-UFS partition? 2) Can we set boot parameters in Open Firmware? That would be "nice", since sparc machines do let you set options in the OF nvram. 3) Is it possible to compile a kernel with UFS support such that you might be able to use a sun-compatible UFS partition as the root partition?

Let me point out that I know very little about the actual boot process, and the handing off of open firmware to the actual kernel/ multilevel boot loaders that sparc linux may be using.

But I do find the questions intriguing - why devote energy to a separate sparc boot loader when a fairly large company is already spending considerable effort on a bios configuration and boot loader environment.

satadru