Re: Re (2): silo

On Fri, Apr 18, 2003 at 05:06:05PM -0800, peter_easthope@gulfnet.sd64.bc.ca wrote:
> Ben,
>
> bc> None of that helps it boot a Linux kernel
> from an non-UFS filesystem.
>
> There is no non-UFS filesystem here.  I
> suppose there is a remote possibility of
> wanting to boot from an external CD in
> the future.

You've no idea what you are talking about. You are booting Linux on a
harddriver attached to your sparc. You _are_ booting off of an ext2
filesystem (IOW, a filesystem that is not UFS). The PROM has no idea
what that filesystem is.

> bc> Are you trolling, or do you have a real question hidden somewhere in
> there?
>
> I must be trolling--taking the role of a troll.
>
> In any case, have learned a little.  I hadn't
> thought about the distinction between "booting
> the OS" and "bootstrapping the OS Loader".
>
> This is my tentative silo.conf.  Perhaps someone
> can mention an error or suggest an improvement.
>
> timeout=100
> read-only
> image=/sbus/esp@0,800000/sd@1,0;1/vmlinuz
> label=woody
> image=/sbus/esp@0,800000/sd@3,0;1/vmlinuz
> label=potato

I suspect you can just use Linux device names, but aside from that you
need a root= for each image, else the kernel wont know what to mount.

--
Debian     - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://www.linux1394.org/