Re: Ultra5 sound and Video's

On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 10:38:51AM -0500, Michael Bevilacqua wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 05:20:52PM +1100, Shannon Smith wrote:
> > My problem is that I have no sound?  I assumed I installed the sound
> > support, but when I get into KDE, it just tells me that the sound
> > server failed to load and that all output would be to null.  Have I
> > missed something or do I need to build another kernel to get this
> > support.

This sounds more like the KDE sound server is misconfigured or
missing.  (I don't use KDE, but the GNOME alternative would be 'esd' /
esound.)

> Are you loading the correct sound module for your chipset? On my Ultra5
> I've used the `cs4231` module with the `kernel-image-2.4.18-sun4u`
> kernel that was available via `apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-sun4u`
>
> You can test this by becoming root (su -) then typing `modprobe cs4231`
>
> If it works then make it permanent by typing:
>
> echo "cs4231" >> /etc/modules

Or better, use 'modconf' to do all that for you interactively.

> Don't forget to check your mixer/volume levels with aumix for example.

Note that aumix (and other PC-compatible mixer programs like the GNOME
mixer) do *not* work sanely with SPARC Linux 2.2.x.  They do work
acceptably well with 2.4.x.  Use 'audioctl' to be sure.  (The "mixer"
hardware for SPARC doesn't work quite the same way as PC hardware
does.)

Later,
  Rob.