Re: Ultra5 sound and Video's

On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 05:20:52PM +1100, Shannon Smith wrote:
> My problem is that I have no sound?  I assumed I installed the sound
> support, but when I get into KDE, it just tells me that the sound
> server failed to load and that all output would be to null.  Have I
> missed something or do I need to build another kernel to get this
> support.

Are you loading the correct sound module for your chipset? On my Ultra5
I've used the `cs4231` module with the `kernel-image-2.4.18-sun4u`
kernel that was available via `apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-sun4u`

You can test this by becoming root (su -) then typing `modprobe cs4231`

If it works then make it permanent by typing:

echo "cs4231" >> /etc/modules

Don't forget to check your mixer/volume levels with aumix for example.

Good luck.

--
Regards,

Michael Bevilacqua