Two problems

Hi all,

I'm experiencing two problems with debian/testing on a SparcStation5.
Its quite likely that they're not debian problems as such, but I thought
I'd ask here anyway.

First, sound:
I am getting sound under X for root, but not for my userid. Following
what I read on this list, I added my userid to the "audio" group and
checked that /dev/dsp had rw permissions for that group and was "owned"
that group. This doesn't appear to have made any difference (and yes, I
restarted X and the associated other stuff). Its probably something
really obvious, but I don't know what....

Second, X crashes:
My X dies all to frequently with a "Received Signal 11" (or words to
that effect) message. Very occasionally it is a Signal 10 instead. There
does not appear to be any consistency that I can identify, other than
that most of the time its while I'm not at that computer. I have a CG6
framebuffer and 192M RAM in it at the moment, but it was also doing
something very similar or the same (I don't remember exactly) while I
had the CG3 framebuffer and only 64M RAM in it. My attempts to identify
a cause have so far drawn a blank. Has anyone any ideas (or better yet,
a solution)? Please? This makes that machine somewhat less useful than I
has hoping.

Conrad.
--
Conrad Canterford  (conrad@mail.watersprite.com.au)