Re: Reformat HD with unix installed

Ron said:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I have no idea about unix, actually I am just learning. So I have no idea
> on how to reformat a HD with unix installed. When I go to run fdisk it
> states that MS DOS is an old version. If you can help me out or point me
> in the right direction that would be great!!
>
> I have to rebuild this computer that has unix on it a put an MS OS on
> there.

not sure if your subscribed or not so I am CC:'n you just incase.

your probably on the wrong list. this list is dedicated to SPARC hardware
running linux, your working with a IA32(aka x86 aka PC). If your
learning you may want to start out with something such as mandrake to
get up and going, migrate to debian if/when you feel the need. I
personally use SuSE for newcommers but it is not freely available like
mandrake.

redhat is ok too..not as desktop oriented as mandrake though I think.

Debian is not newbie oriented. While it's a great distro, my favorite
OS out of more then 2 dozen OSs I have run, it's not friendly to
newcommers. So unless your ready to get your hands dirty and learn
your best off starting with something more friendly like mandrake,
suse, redhat etc..

and BTW, "sparc" hardware is typically found on systems from
"Sun Microsystems"(among others, thats the major vendor though),
they are radically different from PCs in many respects.

nate