Re: best version of debian-sparc to use?

Hallo *****,

14-Feb-03 ***** charles wrote :

> I just acquired an SS20 with the following:

> 128M of ram
> ZX frame buffer
> 1G hard drive
> Sony external bootable cdrom
> 75MHz cpu
> 19" monitor
> keyboard / no mouse

Quite similar to mine, exept of having a HyperSPARC-150-CPU. You can use any
serial mouse with it for X11 ( DB25 to DB9 adaptor; XF86Config-4 :

Section "InputDevice"
 Identifier "Configured Mouse"
 Driver  "Mouse"
 Option  "CorePointer"
 Option  "Device"   "dev/ttyS0"
 Option  "Protokol" "Microsoft"
EndSection

> I have tried to install three different OS's on it
> so far without success (Solaris 8, old version
> of Red Hat - Sparc 6.0 and the latest Debian
> Sparc download from an ISO sight).  Solaris
> bombed because the frame buffer is unsupported.

Solaris 8 discontinued to support the Leo. You can use the driver from Solaris
7. Solaris only booted as I set the ID of my external Plextor-CDRW to 6. Any
other ID failed (my NVRAM is dead, so I simply used "boot diskx"). However, my SS20 doesn't even recognize the Leo as graphics card. I use a TGX-board to see the OBP-output.

> RedHat version and the Debian Sparc version
> bombed because of an error in the scsi sub-
> system, got an esp0 unending loop off the
> scsi bus.

No problems here so far  :)

> My questions:

> Which version of Debian-Sparc will successfully
> load on my particular hardware combination?

My kernel-version is 2.2.20.

Regards

   Henry Schimmer

--
In a world without walls and fences - who needs windows and gates ?