Re: Problem installing over serial console

On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 01:08:02PM +0100, Jaap Hogenberg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried to install debian sparc on my sparc5 from a cdrom using a
> serial console , but I could not get it to use the CD as installation medium.
>
> I did use the CD to boot the install though. It seems it does not get
> recognized as a cdrom , but as a disk (sdb) instead.
>
> As I tried installing over a serial console I couldn't switch consoles
> to mount it manually.

Go down the install menu to "Execute shell".

> Also , the rescue boot option did not help me, it booted into the installation
> same as it does without the boot options.

The rescue boot is to allow you to boot into an already installed root
partition, using the CD's kernel.

> I'm redoing the install now with a full graphical console.
> Had to mount /dev/sdb manually to access the cdrom again......

You could have just chosen to "Mount an existing parition" for the
install medium.

--
Debian     - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://www.linux1394.org/