Funkiness in snmpd/mrtg in unstable?

A long time ago I gave up on getting mrtg to graph my bandwidth usage on
my ultra 5 in unstable. This afternoon I finally got back to playing with
it, but now I'm nearly ready to give up yet again.

I've done mrtg before, and even have it running on a couple x86 machines
at the moment. The snmpd on my ultra appears to be woking correctly - I
can walk and get whatever I'd like from both localhost and remote
machines. The mrtg graphs however, always always show me 0s.

I have a buddy with an x86 system and a working mrtg setup who was kind
enough to lend me his snmpd.conf and mrtg.cfg, both from matching versions
of snmpd and mrtg in unstable on x86.

Yet even between the snmpd.conf and mrtg.cfg I've come up with and with
his two (they were almost identical...), I still get lots of zeros in my
mrtg graphs. I have no iptables or tcp_wrappers to worry about.

While I'm having difficulty believing it, since I've got a known working
set of snmpd and mrtg conf files, I'm starting to wonder if maybe it's
somehow a sparc related issue - has anyone here had any luck with mrtg on
sparc?

Thanks in advance,
-Mark

--