Re: SunOS-shutdown

On Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 01:34:14PM +0100, Pieter-Paul Spiertz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 arvind@acarlab.com wrote:
>
> > Can anybody tell me how to shutdown from an accidental SunOS boot
> > without being root or pulling the plug?
>
> Pressing Stop-A (L1-A) will get you immediately to the bootprompt again,
> without finishing services or umounting gracefully [1]. I usually use
> 'sync' there to prevent disk mount trouble next time, but I'm not sure
> whether that does the right thing.
>
> By default, there is no 'Ctrl-Alt-Del' alike key sequence in SunOS.
>

> Regards,
> Pieter-Paul
>
>  [1] The openboot prom can be protected with a password, which makes
>      Stop-A ask for it. If you have physical access to the machine, there
>      are dirty ways to undo an unknown password.

Hello Pieter,

Stop-A gets me to bootprompt allright, but sync causes kernel-panic and
core-dump! Pulling the plug at bootprompt with mount-trouble at next
boot with fingers crossed seems to be the lesser evil. I'm running
SunOS-5.7 on Ultra5.

Found that re-installing SunOS ( after noting down partition table from
linux and remembering my initial SunOS setup ) resulted in SunOS
forgeting to ask for root password and allowing free root-logins! This
is my current solution!

I wonder if I can run Warp-5.2 VHDL compiler or some other VHDL tool-set
on Linux - then I can get rid of SunOS!

Thanks for your reply.

Regards,
Arvind.