Re: SILO Fun (Was: Re: Seems to be working (Was: Re: Debian and IPX))

At 12:44 -0500 11/29/03, Ben Collins wrote:
On Sat, Nov 29, 2003 at 06:30:45PM +0100, Dalibor Topic wrote:
 Ben Collins wrote:
 >On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 06:06:40PM -0500, Mauricio wrote:
 >
 >>	I just finished installing debian in my IPX.  Well, almost.
 >>When it is the time to make the disk bootable, this is the message I
 >>am getting:
 >>
 >>"SILO wasn't able to install. You'll still be able to boot your
 >>system if you create a boot floppy, but it won't be able to boot
 >>without a floppy."
 >>
 >>What could be causing that and what can I do?
 >

 >Can you show me the partition map from fdisk? Also, switching to the
 >second console (ALT+F2) will show error messages more verbosely.

 Mauricio,

 try to repeartition the disk, and put /boot on the first partition. Make
 sure that /boot is small enough not to confuse SILO. I made the mistake
 here [1] to use a single partition for the whole disk, and SILO didn't
 like that.

Not sure what you are refering to. I've never run into that problem, nor
heard of it.

I suspect he has a seperate /boot partition, which will only work if you
are using my install images on http://auric.debian.org/~bcollins/disks-sparc.

You are right; I am using a separate /boot partition. I did not know it was a bad idea. =)