Re: SILO Fun (Was: Re: Seems to be working (Was: Re: Debian and IPX))

Ben Collins wrote:
On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 06:06:40PM -0500, Mauricio wrote:

I just finished installing debian in my IPX. Well, almost. When it is the time to make the disk bootable, this is the message I am getting:

"SILO wasn't able to install. You'll still be able to boot your system if you create a boot floppy, but it won't be able to boot without a floppy."

What could be causing that and what can I do?

Can you show me the partition map from fdisk? Also, switching to the
second console (ALT+F2) will show error messages more verbosely.

Mauricio,

try to repeartition the disk, and put /boot on the first partition. Make sure that /boot is small enough not to confuse SILO. I made the mistake here [1] to use a single partition for the whole disk, and SILO didn't like that.

cheers,
dalibor topic

[1]
http://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2003/debian-sparc-200311/msg00052.html