Re: Sparc netinst

Hi Tennis,

Tennis Smith wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to netinst to an ss20.  I have a tftp server setup on a win2k PC
(funny huh?) and I'm trying to netboot with your latest sparc-mini.iso.
Unfortuntely, it doesn't seem that the OpenBoot values for this scenario are
very well documented. I looked in the Debian docs and none of the variants
on this worked for me.

I doubt you can netboot from an iso. An iso image file usually is the image of a CD filesystem, which is supposed to be burned to a CDROM, and ran from there. TFTP on the other hand requires images to be loaded to be specially tagged for TFTP transfer over the network.

I did a netinst on my sparc station 5 last weekend (and on a hamilton clone), and I went through some (in retrospective avoidable) trouble to get my system to run so here's my advice:

First of all, make sure you read the file http://auric.debian.org/~bcollins/disks-sparc/current/README.txt for a lot of useful information. I assume the file you're looking for is http://auric.debian.org/~bcollins/disks-sparc/current/sparc32/tftpboot.img . Also Read the installation guide located here: http://auric.debian.org/~bcollins/disks-sparc/current/doc/install.en.html

Install tcpdump or some equivalent software of your server. It will prove useful when you debug boot failures. Install a RARP deamon. Install a TFTP deamon.

When the sparc fires up, press STOP-A and type in boot net on the OpenBoot prompt. The sparc will send out a request for an IP over the ethernet connection, and when it gets one, it will ask for an image to boot from.

First make sure you set up the rarp deamon on the server. All other methods for address resolution (bootp, dhcp) didn't work that well for me. RARP should work with any sparc box, I guess. And it's very easy to setup: just add the hardware address of the sparc (displayed on bootup) to /etc/ethers and give it a free ip from your local network. So if your server is 192.168.1.1 you could give it 192.168.1.3 for example, if noone else on your LAN is using the IP.

There is some inet.d killing and restarting magic involved in all this. I ended up killing inet.d for good, and just running rarpd from the command line in debug mode. Tcpdump showed a successful ARP request, so that was done.

The next thing the sparc wanted was the kernel. In order to give it a kernel, you need a configured TFTP deamon, and image directory, and an image file. The image you've got already from Bill's server, the rest you have to do yourself:

Make a directory to store tftp boot images in. I used /tftpboot. Then configure the tftp deamon to look into that directory for files. You may find the tftp deamon to be configured to look somewere else in your inet.d configuration file. Do the inet.d reloading/restaring magic and wave a dead chicken.

Looking at tcpdump, you should see the sparc sending TFTP requests for a specific file, some hex values 'dot' SUN4M for example. Create a link tftpboot.img to that file (or just copy it if you're on windows). If all goes well, you should see a ton of output scrolling by on your tcpdump window and the sparc should display a hex counter to show you that it's loading the image.

You should be greeted by a friendly penguin framebuffer logo, and the kernel loading messages scrolling by. Now, normally, you should see the debian installer welcome screen and can go on installing.

If on the other hand the kernel hangs itself up in a loop requesting something about SCSI, then make sure you reset the NVRAM to factory settings. It should be STOP-N or STOP-D, I think, and then powercycle the box. That bug took me a day trying to figure out. Thanks to the friendly folks on #gentoo-sparc on freenode for their help, I could get past that one ;)

Which brings me to another point: IRC. While you're installing the sparc, and you have no real clue about sparcs, an IRC connection could prove very helpful. I couldn't find a debian specific sparc channel anywhere, so I'd recommend #gentoo-sparc for newbies. Although gentoo doesn't have TFTP images, the friendly folks there seem to have done more than a few TFTP based installations in their lives, and are of great help.

So you've got your box to boot with the kernel from Ben, and a ready for an install. Debian will ask you if you want to partition the disks. Avoid one mistake I did: don't use a single partition for the whole / . Make a small /boot partition of say 50M and you'll be fine. Otherwise, SILO (the kernel loader) may not be able to load the kernel, and will not be able to write itself to disk, *after* you've installed debian, and you may have to re-install from scratch. The error message you get from SILO in woody is not very helpful, but Mike Michlmayr helped me interpret it properly. [1]

Finally, another mistake I made not worth repeating: I installed my box with the images from woody, and after it finally installed (after a day and a half of fighting with it), I went straight to unstable *without* upgrading the kernel to 2.4.21 first. Bad, bad, bad, as a circular dependency between kernel 2.4.21 and libc broke apt somehow. Spend another half day cleaning my system, and removing packages to fix dependencies. [2] I succeeded, though, and now the box is running testing. and kernel 2.4.21. Lessons learned: *Avoid* the images from woody of you don't plan to use woody, and use Bill's images to save you the hassle.

And now, have some fun with the sparc,
dalibor topic,
a fresh-baked debian-sparc user.

[1] So, if you have a chance, do as I do: man the debian booth during some Expo/Conference things (LinuxDays Luxembourg for me) and ask the residing Debian developers/gods/long-time-users for help when you get stuck during the installation. ;) [2] dpkg didn't let me forcefully remove 'login', though. You should have seen the looks on the faces of debian devs around me as I typed that. I had a small audience behind me while I took the box apart with dpkg to fix the breakage in apt resulting from the half-succesful update to unstable. My first debian install, and I had people watching in horror over my shoulders as I purged bits and pieces of libc, ssh, etc off the box. Ah, that was fun!