Re: FUP to: Booting Sparc Blade 150 w/ ATI Rage XL (xlinit.c)

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 14:54:51 -0400
"Grzegorz B. Prokopski" <gadek@debian.org> wrote:

> However I am not entirely happy w/ this onboard card.

Yep, the mach64 is pretty crappy compared to the creator3d.

Also, the creator3D sits on the main CPU bus whereas the
mach64 sits on PCI.

> 2. Doesn't show this strange "scratches" every time anything in the
> screen content changes - which is very annoying while I am
> using B150's ATY Mach64 on-board card.

I have no idea what is causing this, most likely inaccurate programming
of the memory timing parameters.  Better to ask the xfree86 lists,
Marc La France is the ATI-mach64 expert there, nobody here is very
knowledgable about the details of the mach64 chip.

> 2. Would it be possible to get this additional PCI card in b150
> working under linux? It's XVR-500 in /proc/pci it is seen as:

Unlikely to work without significant hacking of both the kernel
(for console driver) and xfree86 assuming that hardware documentation
exists.  I believe there are not even any open source public drivers
for these cards, I wouldn't waste much time on this card.

Better luck you'd get with the XVR-100 which is ATI Radeon based.
But even this would require a bit of work to make sure the existing
Radeon kernel and xfree86 drivers work on sparc64.