v8 hypersparc optimization

Where is the boundary between sane-fast and risking-breaking
on a dual hypersparc ss20 for gcc (recent) optimizations?
Is -O3 -pipe okay?  I'm pushing there because it's like ...
well, I'm going to spend several days rebuilding the world,
why not pick up max speed ... On the other hand, hey,
why throw away several days building a system that
crashes strangely from time to time?

Also, it's not clear to me which mcpu, mv8, and mtune
parameters overlap and perhaps fight one another?
I'm currently recompiling everything with:
   -mv8 -mcpu=hypersparc -mtune=hypersparc
Is this catching all possible hypersparc optimizations?

Thansk!
Heitzso