Re: Mozilla Fails to start in Unstable

On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 01:22:01AM -0700, David S. Miller wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 12:00:05 -0400
> Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 11:10:47AM -0500, Kent West wrote:
> > > When I try starting Moz from a terminal window, I get:
> >
> > Known problem with mozilla. Try to get the 1.4-2 packages. Maybe they
> > are in testing.
>
> Yes, but it's been known for a month or perhaps longer at this point.
> I think it's time they fix this.
>
> If you force install the older package, this isn't much of a solution
> because it prevents you from doing apt-get updates after that point
> in time.  Having this restriction for a couple days is fine, but a
> month or so is a bit much.

Agreed, but I haven't had the time to nag the maintainer. Also, you can
easily do apt-get upgrades after downgrading, by doing:

for pkg in mozilla-browser libnspr4 libnss3 mozilla-psm mozilla-xft; do
	echo $pkg hold | dpkg --set-selections
done

That will "hold" the packages, and keep apt-get from upgrading them. And
to make things easier for those bitten by this, here's working mozilla
packages for you.

http://phunnypharm.org/sparc-mozilla-downgrade/

--
Debian     - http://www.debian.org/