Re: 2.6.0-test6

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 18:57:43 -0500
"Paul" <paul@techcenter3000.com> wrote:

> Personally, I prefer 32 bit, all marketroid blathering to the contrary. If I
> had a huge database or was simulating weather/gnabgig/etc, then it'd be
> worthwhile. Otherwise, the overhead of 64 bit just isn't quite worth it to
> me.

I cry when I read posting like this...

What are you talking about?  All the userland is 32-bit even on
sparc64 systems, so you're getting all of the benefit of the faster
processor (all of your sparc64 systems have faster cpus than nearly
any sparc32 machine ever produced) without the bloat of 64-bit
userland.

It's just the kernel that needs to be 64-bit on sparc64 systems.