Printer on Parallel port on Ultra 10

Hi
Does anyone here has already succeded in running a printer on his ultra 10 on the parallel port ?
I managed to get my port recognized and even my printer seen, by removing the FIFO PARPORT stuff from the default Kernel :

With this configuration my /var/log/syslog tells me
Oct  1 17:04:58 galadriel kernel: parport0: PC-style at 0x1fff13043bc (0x1fff13047bc), irq 6687552 [PCSPP,TRISTATE]
Oct  1 17:04:58 galadriel kernel: lp0: using parport0 (interrupt-driven).
galadriel kernel: parport0: Printer, HEWLETT-PACKARD DESKJET 710C

When I try ls > /dev/lp0, nothing just happens
When I try to print a test page from apsfilterconfig, the whole computer hangs, and I have to switch it off manually !
I'd like to hear about people who have managed to get their prinetr working, before spending hours and hours in obscure insmod parameters :-)

Emmanuel