Re: debian/sparc serial console

> I've transitioned my Ultra 10 from my primary Desktop machine to
> network server (having acquired a powerbook for my primary needs  -
> still trying to get Evolution compiled on that.)  I would like to
> access this Ultra 10 only through a serial cable & ethernet, without
> monitor or keyboard.  I should be able to do this through some settings
> in Open Firmware right?
OpenBoot should do it automatically - hook up the serial cable and
unplug the monitor and keyboard.  You can set it to always use serial
but I would have thought leaving it on auto switching was best.

> What do I need to set there, and what do I need to set inside linux so
> that it stops pestering me about no keyboard being attached.
AFAIK it shouldn't pester you at all - it should detect you're using
serial console.  Or at least it has when I've done it.

>  Can I set
> these open firmware variables from inside linux?
Look at the openpromfs drivers - basically yes.

> And...
> How do I disable X on boot?
>
> This page:
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-tips.en.html#s-no-x-
> start
> tells me that I could try this:
> update-rc.d ?dm stop 99 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sounds good to me.

> I'm running on testing.  Would this work - I'm currently running
> debian/testing on the box?
I can think of why it shouldn't - man update-rc.d if it doesn't.

Sweet Dreams,
 - Martin

--
Martin