more info re hypersparc smp w/ 2.4.23-pre5

now, with framebuffer and console turned off, ...

boot went much, much further, but not to completion

so I'm not clear if I'm just decreasing kernel size
and hence changing where/when the boot crashes
or if I really needed to turn the console option
off

NOTES

ethernet drivers failed to find nics, I'll
recompile w/ the drivers compiled directly
into the kernel instead of as modules and
see what happens

boot message "Console: ttyS0" did appear

the error message
 "zs_open ttyS0, tty overwrite"
appears over and over on ttyS0 (i.e. where
I have minicom watching the ttya serial port)

bootlogd complained of not being able to access
/dev/tty0

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
Heitzso