Re: Some problems with Xfree86/sunffb driver

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 14:55:08 -0300
Maximiliano Garcia Silva - Decidir IT <mgsilva@decidir.net> wrote:

> - SUN ELITE 3D (SUNFFB module): I can alter nor the colors, nor the video
> modes. I'd specified them in the configuration, but it loads only
> 1152x900@24bits.

That's right.  The xfree86 driver doesn't control the video modes,
this is controlled via firmware when your machine is powered on.

You can change the setting by doing something in the firmware like:

ok setenv output-device screen:r1920x1200x70

The Sun framebuffer guide, which I think you can find on
http://docs.sun.com/ explains what video modes are supported
by Creator3d and Elite3D cards.

> - ATI MATCH 64 GP (ATI module): Doesn't support "1152x900" mode; using 24
> bits, "1024x768" is the maximum allowed.

This limit is due the the limited amount of video memory in your card.
They put only 1 or 2 megabytes of video ram in the onboard mach64
chips in the first generation Ultra10 machines.  The second generation
Ultra10's had 4MB which is enough to get 16bpp at HDTV resolution.

I wouldn't use an ultra10 as a workstation, personally :-)