From: Owen Mehegan
Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2003 10:48 AM
To: debian-sparc@lists.debian.org
Subject: RE: Sparc netinstall CD image?

Well, the drive is a Toshiba XM-501B. I did some research on it on the web, and couldn't find any info on people who could not use the drive. I have tried three different media, each without success:

1. Boot floppies, created on my Windows system using rawrite2.exe. These produce the same "bad magic number" error.

2. Mini-sparc image that I found on http://auric.debian.org/~bcollins/disks-sparc/current/  This would boot, show me the SILO process as the kernel loads, and I would be prompted to hit enter to begin the Debian install. I did so, and then I saw "loading initial ramdisk" and then "bootmem_init: scan sp_banks" and some other stuff, and then the system resets and I end up back at the OpenBoot prompt.

3. Full install image that I downloaded using jigdo, which also produces the "bad magic number" error.

4. Solaris 9 install CD, which when booted fails with the error "Can't deduct panicbuf from physical memory list."

So, the closest to success that I have gotten is the mini-sparc CD, which will at least boot and show me the beginning of the install process. If anyone else has any ideas about how to get this system to install PLEASE let me know :)

Best regards,

Owen B. Mehegan
IT Manager, Perseus Development Corp.
Landline: (781) 848-8100 x263
Mobile: (617) 285-1701
SurveySolutions for the Web:  Winner of the PC Magazine Editors' Choice
Award