Re: Discover and SBUS?

I went on vacation soon after sendin my message, and I completely forgot
about it. I've done some looking at discover 1.5 and 2.0, and I'm really
not sure what to do. Some difficulties:

* v1.5 and v2.0 have significant architectural differences. I would have
to commit to one.

* A number of bug reports relating to NMU fixes, pending uploads, and the
upstream release have been pending for six months or more. An unrelated
bugreport/patch I submitted two weeks ago has gotten no response.

* It doesn't look like OpenPROM provides guaraunteed fields for
identifying devices. It looks like 'name', 'vendor', 'model', and 'driver'
are sometimes sufficient. I'd like to probe SBUS by visiting each node in
the device tree and asking "Does this node have the properties 'name=foo,
driver=bar'? Does it have properties 'model=whiz, vendor=bang'". Is this
overkill? Have I misinterpreted the contents of OpenPROM?

* discover 1.5 is designed with the assumption that an installed device
provides identifying, numeric vendor and model codes for most
devices. The ide and scsi devices demonstrate how to incorporate a bus
that deviates from this scheme, and I could mimc that. But upstream
probably wouldn't support a 1.5 patch, and Debian seems inert anyway.

* discover 2.0 allows numeric and non-numeric vendor and model codes, but
doesn't allow the deviations. It looks like using the 'key-value' approach
would require some major reworking. But Debian hasn't adopted 2.0, so it
would trouble for noth.

Oh, well.

- Tim