Re: Kernel recompile issues on a SS20

Rob Wultsch wrote:

I am trying to compile a 2.4.19 for a ss20 and I am running into a couple problems. More than anything else "make bzImage" does not appear to work. It spits out 2 lines and does not want to do anything more. It will compile "make vmlinux" just fine though. Is there some preequiste that I need for for the one that the other does not need?

As I understand it, bzImage is not supposed to work.

The first kernel I compiled was 3.6 megs, so I made one that made use of modules and it is just under 2.6 megs, but silo is telling me that it is still to large.

I have read several *fine* guides to kernel recompiles, incuding one for sparc, and I have not the faintest what is this things deal. Right now it is basicly a vanilly woody install with the only the developers packages insalled.

I think the size limit is around 2.5Megs... but it should be possible to get even lower than that will little effort (just compile everything as a module).

David Johnson.