Re: 2.6-test2 on unusual UE2

> I'm trying to compile kernels with egcs64 (egcs-2.92.11) and gcc 3.0.4 (both
> defaults from debian)

First off, I don't think gcc-3.0.4 is default in anything but testing
right now. You should be using the gcc-3.2 from unstable to compile
sparc64 kernels.

> The problem is that the 2.6 kernel is finding the PCI Qlogic controller first,
> so the boot drive comes up as /dev/sde and that doesn't work out very well.
> (to say the least)
> Is there anyway to shift the order of discovery so the internal drives are
> found first?
> (the other controllers are Sym, 2 internal, and 2 on the differential card)

What's wrong with using /dev/sde as the root disk? Should be able to
specify that in silo.conf without any problems.

The thing is that the driver detects in the order that PCI probes. So
lower numbered busses and devices get probed first. Likewise, lower
ordered scsi ID's get probed first.

> The second issue, is of course, SMP.
> I can compile an SMP kernel just fine, but it just doesn't boot.
> I get:
> Remapping the kernel... done.
> Booting Linux...

1) The compiler should help here

2) If you still get this, boot with the -p option on the OBP or SILO
   command line. It will get you earlyboot prom output so we can see
   where it stops.

--
Debian     - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://www.linux1394.org/