Re: GUI on Sparc 2

On Tue, 2003-07-22 at 23:45, peter_easthope@gulfnet.sd64.bc.ca wrote:
> Debian-Sparc readers,
>
> kde is now installed in Woody on an
> Sparc 2 here.  Startup and login occupy
> about 10 minutes.  There is a noticeable
> delay with every action in the GUI.  Is
> this normal for the Sparc 2?

An SS2 has a 33 MHz processor, a 64K L2 cache, a 20MHz memory bus speed,
and usually no more than 64M of RAM.  This is a cramped environment for
KDE (or GNOME) desktops.  Besides being slow when executing in memory, a
heavy GUI will force the use of swap frequently.  Then how fast is the
hard drive?

On the machines of this class that I use with X (more often 68040s than
early Sparcs), I use Windowmaker.  Individual apps that use KDE and
GNOME libraries might be usable.

-- SP