Re: Compiling a kernel that works

On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 03:57:38PM +1000, Craig Small wrote:
> Hello,
>   I seem to be having a lot of problems getting a kernel that will work
> on the sparc64 arch.  All I need it to do is to use a VPN protocol - any
> VPN protocol.

First, compile a stock sparc64 kernel, without any of these patches. Use
2.4.21, and do:

cd /usr/src/linux-2.4.21
cp arch/sparc64/defconfig .config
make oldconfig
make dep
make vmlinux

After that, try to boot vmlinux.

> Here is my sorry tale of VPNs
>   - IPsec - doesn't work because the ioctls fail

So port the ioctl's. See arch/sparc64/kernel/ioctl32.c

>   - l2tpd - bus error

>   - pptpd kernel oops if i try to merge the modules in, cannot use new
>     kernel because of the following problem

The oops you showed means nothing. You need to run it through the
ksymoops program.

> When I try to compile a kernel and then boot it I get this:
> Boot device: disk  File and args:
> SILO boot:
> Uncompressing image...
> |
> Memory Address not Aligned
> ok

The "Memory Address not Aligned" does not come from SILO or the kernel,
from what I can see. Seems like an OBP message. Not sure what would give
you that. Perhaps try an uncompressed vmlinux instead of a compressed
vmlinuz.

--
Debian     - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://www.linux1394.org/