Re: Unable to use smbfs even though compiled in.

On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 02:40:20PM -0400, Robert C. Mosher II wrote:
> I have been trying to compile a kernel to be used on several Ultra 5s in
> my schools computer science lab. One of the main reasons I need to
> recompile the kernel is so that smbfs will be supported. Although the
> kernel compiles and is usable, smbfs is not supported:
>
> 	ERROR: smbfs filesystem not supported by the kernel
> 	Please refer to the smbmnt(8) manual page
> 	smbmnt failed: 255

When you do 'lsmod', do you see something like the following?

smbfs                  39376   1 (autoclean)

Also, do you have the 'smbfs' package installed?

$ dpkg --list smbfs
ii  smbfs          3.0.0beta1-1   mount and umount commands for the smbfs (for

--
Roy Bixler <rcb@ucp.uchicago.edu>
The University of Chicago Press