Linking error with vsftpd

I'm trying to install vsftpd, and I have downloaded version 1.2.0. I am
aware that vsftpd is on the Debian 3.0_r1 installation media, but that's
in version 1.0.

When try issuing 'make' in vsftpd's source directory, I end up with
this:

gcc -c sysutil.c -O2 -Wall -W -Wshadow  -idirafter dummyinc
sysutil.c: In function `vsf_sysutil_inet_ntop':
sysutil.c:2070: warning: control reaches end of non-void function
gcc -c sysdeputil.c -O2 -Wall -W -Wshadow  -idirafter dummyinc
sysdeputil.c:1059: warning: `vsf_insert_uwtmp' defined but not used
sysdeputil.c:1098: warning: `vsf_remove_uwtmp' defined but not used
gcc -o vsftpd main.o utility.o prelogin.o ftpcmdio.o postlogin.o
privsock.o tunables.o ftpdataio.o secbuf.o ls.o postprivparent.o
logging.o str.o netstr.o sysstr.o strlist.o banner.o filestr.o
parseconf.o secutil.o ascii.o oneprocess.o twoprocess.o privops.o
standalone.o hash.o tcpwrap.o ipv6parse.o sysutil.o sysdeputil.o -Wl,-s
`./vsf_findlibs.sh`
/lib/libpam.so.0: could not read symbols: Invalid operation
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [vsftpd] Error 1
david@sol:~/packages/vsftpd-1.2.0$

It seems to me that there is some trouble reading symbols defined in
libpam - but why?

Best regards,
David List