Re: [debian-sparc] Which is best distro for Ultra 10

> > > Be aware of CPU "endian-ness".  This is a concern in Intel to Sparc
> > > porting.   Not sure about HP to Sparc.  Google on "endian" for more info.
> > >  It may only be a concern if you exchange binary information with other
> > > computers in units large than a byte (octet of bits).
> > In which case you should probabily be using network byte ordering or
> > whatever the respective standard defines.  Or using plain text - in
> > theory endian-ness isn't a problem.  However this is the real world...
> Do you mean to tell me that XML is _not_ taking over the world?
In some applications.  I'm more interested in lower level software.
There is no XML version of machine code or IP - and something tells me
there never will be :-)  IMHO XML is a very good tool for some tasks and
like lots of good ideas it seems to have been hijacked and now we're
being told it will solve anything.

>  I tried
> xerces and C++ and after a week of reading and testing, I decided to try it
> again some other time.  Can it be that managing endian-ness is easier than
> using XML from a developer point of view?
In some cases.  Sun-RPC handles it automatically, you have the functions
in <netinet/in.h> (see man byteorder(3)).  I'd use XML cos your
application needs it and it's a good idea not just because it handles
byte ordering.

>  Oh sure, XML is great from a user perspective,
And an openness / interaction sense.

> but goodness, don't those apps swell up when XML parsing is
> linked in?
Hence suggestions about standard XML parser dynamic libraries as well as
dynamic XML parser generator tools so you can handle any sort at run
time.  I would say there are ways round this.

Seeing as this is getting a tad OT - can I suggest any further
discussion of XML/endian-ness/software interoperability issues are taken
off list.

Sweet Dreams,
 - Martin

--