Re: 2.4.2-rc6 sun4u root partition mounting failures

Fixed! The problem with not being able to get a working kernel turned out to be a problem with either my gcc-3.3 installation or version > 7.x of kernel-package.

For some reason, sparc64-linux-gcc was not being used to compile the kernel (even though egcs64 was/is installed).

Uninstalling gcc-3.3 & kernel-package (by reverting my apt sources.list to stable only) and reinstalling gcc-2.95 and the older 7.x version of kernel-package enabled me to compile a working kernel.

Is this a bug in either kernel-package or the gcc-3.3 packaging, or am I doing something wrong?

sat

--
The greatness of the United States is that it corrects its errors.
-Octavio Paz