Re: Hello, New to this listing.

On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 03:04:57PM -0700, nate wrote:
> Rhonda R. Wilson said:
>
> > Is this the right spot?
>
> im sure people here will be more then happy to help but if your
> household has zero unix/linux experience it may be better to start
> with a "easier to install/use" distribution first before going to
> debian(which is easier to manage in the long run usually).
>
> the only other linux distro I have tried on sparc was SuSE 7.3, and
> it installed pretty flawlessly on an ultra 1 creator 3D.
>
> though I went back to debian pretty quick :)
first distro i used was caldera.. [bad memories]
Second suse that lasted a bit longer, till i discoverd the way :)

I  did a suse install for a friend recently and it still sucks.[IMHO]
Far too pretty and i couldnt find icewm.

On the other hand, i have been using debian for a few years on i386 and
it was a bit of a stuggle to get it onto my IPC [sun4c] but this was due
to mu inability to confiure a boot server rather than anything wrong
with the actual sparc [well apart from a file locking issue with the nfs
root]

Anyway i say go for debian! you can do it!

post probs, but rtm and google first =o)

--
hugh