Re: Compiling kernel on Ultra-2

If you are compiling a kernel for UltraSPARC you will
need to be sure you have installed the egcs64 package.
This is the preferred compiler for 64bit SPARC
kernels. The default gcc will also compile 64bit
kernels, but is not as stable. Plus, if you do not use
egcs64 and you encounter kernel problems, you will
most likely be asked to recompile the kernel using
egcs64 in order to verify your problem still exists.
After installing egcs64 be sure to run
update-alternatives --config sparc64-linux-gcc as
root, and be sure that egcs64 is being used for this
program.

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/sparc/ch-post-install.en.html#s-kernel-baking