Re: Debian 3.0 on a Netra T1

On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 02:05:04AM +0200, Guillaume Tamboise wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to install a Debian 3.0 on a Sun Netra T1 (sparc 64).
> I use a console access (to video card!).
>
> The CD boots fine with a
> /boot/sparc64
> initrd=/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-sparc/current/images-1.44/root.bin
>
> To partition, I first wrote the Sun disklabel (s under fdisk),
> then put whatever partition schema that suits me.

I'm hoping that when you created the partitions you did not delete the
3rd "Whole disk" partition.

Also, how did you enter the sectors/tracks/cylinders? I would suggest
just hitting '0' for manual, and enter for all the defaults after that.

> The "initialize the swap partition" goes fine as long as I do not pick
> "Check Bad Blocks".
> Things start to get wrong when I try to initialize a linux filesystem.
> No matter if I try ext2 or ext3, it goes up to
> "Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information:"
> and then just hangs...

How big is this disk? Does the kernel detect it properly? When it seems
to freeze can you hit ALT+F2 to the other console window and see if the
machine is still alive?

--
Debian     - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://www.linux1394.org/