Re: Two problems

On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 04:38:41PM +1100, Conrad Canterford wrote:
> First, sound:
> I am getting sound under X for root, but not for my userid. Following
> what I read on this list, I added my userid to the "audio" group and
> checked that /dev/dsp had rw permissions for that group and was "owned"
> that group. This doesn't appear to have made any difference (and yes, I
> restarted X and the associated other stuff). Its probably something
> really obvious, but I don't know what....

Suppose you type 'id $username'.  Do you see the audio group listed?  You
will have to log out and log in again for your processes to be granted
that identity.  It's not instantaneous.

> Second, X crashes:
> My X dies all to frequently with a "Received Signal 11" (or words to
> that effect) message. Very occasionally it is a Signal 10 instead. There
> does not appear to be any consistency that I can identify, other than
> that most of the time its while I'm not at that computer. I have a CG6
> framebuffer and 192M RAM in it at the moment, but it was also doing
> something very similar or the same (I don't remember exactly) while I
> had the CG3 framebuffer and only 64M RAM in it. My attempts to identify
> a cause have so far drawn a blank. Has anyone any ideas (or better yet,
> a solution)? Please? This makes that machine somewhat less useful than I
> has hoping.

Eh, this is a difficult problem to place.  It is almost certainly a
hardware problem.  The "canonical" hardware test is to compile a kernel
from source.  If you get SEGVs doing that, then look for a CPU or RAM
problem, or some environmental problem causing them (like heat, X-rays,
or poultergeists).  If compiling doesn't tickle problems, then it might
be the X server, but that's pretty unlikely, IMO.

						- chad