Re: SparcStation 20 and SILO

Hi Tim,

>     I have been having some serious issues trying to get a
> SparcStation 20 to boot. In order to install debian I had to net-boot the
> machine since it did not like the cd-rom for some reason.

Maybe you have to jumper it to use a blocksize of 512 Bytes; some (older) CDROM-drives don't like CD-RW-media ...

>     The installation process has had problems at the very end when
> "Making the system bootable" and has come up with a non-specific failure.
> Other times it succeeds and simply wants to reboot.

"Cannot find /etc/silo.conf (unknown ext2 error" ?  I accepted the plan to
partition my 9GB-disk with just 2 partitions (swap + /). Some error-message
complained about "buggy old ROMs don't support drives larger than 1 GB".

>     Either way, when I try and boot the machine from the drive I just
> installed debian on, it gives me an error in the open boot prom:

>     "The file just loaded does not appear to be executable."

I do have the same problem with installing Solaris8. No clues so far.

Please give some more information about your hardware. Is your timekeeper /
NVRAM o.k. ?

Regards

    Henry

--
In a world without walls and fences - who needs windows and gates ?