Re: sunhme ethernet (receiver?) locking up w/ ultra1 and 2.4.18-.20

On Mon, 2003-02-03 at 10:31, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> It's not just Linux - Solaris sufferes from this hardware bug too.
> Anyone with a busy server on an Ultra 1 platform is asking for trouble.
> One of my clients has been plagued by it for many years until we recently
> upgraded the hardware to an Ultra 80. Waste of an Ultra 80, but it keeps
> them happy and stop the 30-second timeout you get with Solaris.

I have two Ultra 1, one running OpenBSD, the other one Solaris 9. They
do not have to deal with a lot of bandwitdh (10BT on the local network,
512k DSL with the outside world) but sometimes I use them for big file
transfers. They both have have one HME card, the gateway has a lance
ethernet card too.
With Linux I'm unable to complete a Debian woody network install without
timeouts during packages downloading, and I can't make a 100 MB scp
without having to reboot the U1. With Solaris I've never seen any
timeout or driver freeze problem (I've only tested Solaris 9), nor did I
with OpenBSD or NetBSD. I'm not using *BSD for pleasure (their init
system inherently sux), but it's the only way I've found to use these
computers with a free operating system.

--
Irvin Probst
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary