[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: Internet with Debian & Cayman 3220 router slower than with Windows & 56K modem



no no - downloads are fast, navigation is painful

DCHP is set on the router & also on Linux (I believe at least, because Linux installed itself from Debian's FTP server using the automatic DHCP routine of the installer ... )

Lou

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "James Ireson" <jireson@weeble.oooarrr.cx>
To: "'Luca Zampetti'" <zampetti@bellsouth.net>; <debian-sparc@lists.debian.org>
Cc: <d.love@dl.ac.uk>
Sent: Saturday, January 04, 2003 8:03 PM
Subject: RE: Internet with Debian & Cayman 3220 router slower than with Windows & 56K modem


> A good guess will be that you have dhcp turned on in the router and on
> your machine.... 
> 
> However you say that your connection is like a 56k modem (or slower),
> not sure why dns would matter on this one.... You should find with most
> adsl/ cable modems that using their build in dns is fine, they will have
> got your isp's dns server address' via dhcp and will be using those to
> respond to your machine.
> 
> I'm assuming your problem is more that when using the web for example
> that downloads go slow rather than you not being able to get to sites?
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Luca Zampetti [mailto:zampetti@bellsouth.net] 
> Sent: 04 January 2003 23:58
> To: debian-sparc@lists.debian.org
> Cc: d.love@dl.ac.uk
> Subject: Fw: Internet with Debian & Cayman 3220 router slower than with
> Windows & 56K modem
> Importance: High
> 
> 
> It is a real pain  .... there is a program for setting the pppoe
> connection that shows up in some kde menu, running it leads the OS to
> discover it has a eth0 (which it already knows) and to nothing else
> because apparently the interface is already in use by some connection
> (wonder which one, I have only one ...) ... ifconfig does not help
> either ...
> 
> Why does the OS overwrite the resolv.conf file with the settings it
> "invented" automatically during the installation instead of accepting my
> ISP provider IP address for the DNS server?
> 
> Lou
> 
> ----- Original Message ----- 
> From: "Dave Love" <d.love@dl.ac.uk>
> To: "Luca Zampetti" <zampetti@bellsouth.net>
> Cc: <debian-sparc@lists.debian.org>
> Sent: Friday, January 03, 2003 11:13 AM
> Subject: Re: Internet with Debian & Cayman 3220 router slower than with
> Windows & 56K modem
> 
> 
> > I guess your network interface settings are inconsistent with the 
> > router's port (assuming you have connected to it directly).  On an 
> > Ultra use `ethtool' to view and adjust the settings, but that doesn't 
> > seem to work on sparc32.  [I'd actually be interested if anyone else 
> > can say what to use on sparc32.]
> > 
> 
> 
> -- 
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-sparc-request@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact
> listmaster@lists.debian.org
> 
> 
> 
> -- 
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-sparc-request@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
> 



Reply to: