Re: Introduction and First Question that I've never been able to answer...

On Thu, 2003-01-02 at 14:20, Ivan Dahlberg wrote:
> Greetings everyone....
>
> I have been using Debian sparc for several years covering sun4c/m/u
> architectures and am a certified Sun field technician. I look forward to
> helping the list out when it comes to dealing with hardware issues as
> well as OS/software related. I run all sparc Debian and solaris at home
> and am the Field Team Lead for the company I work for by day.
>
> My major administration question is;
>
> How on earth do I get Debian to handle the OBP setting of
>  'local-mac-address' properly so that I have the unique mac addresses
> provided from the card installed and not the hostid of the box?

I have an Ultra 5 running 2.4.17 that has a Sun Quad Ethernet card in
it.  This machine is running as a firewall and every ethernet interface
has a unique MAC address.  I don't think that I did anything special to
get this.  I am running Debian 3.0 also.

On the other hand, I haven't found anyone that has been able to get the
dmfe ethernet nic's in the Sun SunFire to work with linux yet.  I have 8
SunFire V100 servers, some of which I would like to run linux on, but
can't because of the ethernet drivers.