Re: Sound on Ultra 30

On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 09:30:38AM -0400, Matt Soccio wrote:
> I just got Debian running on a U30, upgraded to testing, upgraded to
> 2.4.18 kernel.  I have the cs4231a compiled into the kernel, and it is
> being recognized:
>
> ripple[2] dmesg | grep audio
> btaudio: driver version 0.6 loaded [analog+digital]
> audio0: cs4231a(eb2) at 1fff1200000 irq 13,7e3
>
> However, I still get the error messages about problems initializing
> /dev/dsp.  I have tried to MAKEDEV audio, I have tried chmodding
> /dev/audio and /dev/dsp to 666.  What else am I missing?  I see in the
> archives that there are a handful of questions about this (or similar
> problems) mostly on SS's, does anyone know of a good HT or FAQ to get
> sound going on a U30?
>
> All I really need is a system beep for mail notification and such.

I've had little success getting sound to work on my Ultra 1 and Ultra
10 (cs4231 module) with the stock (woody) 2.4.18 kernel package,
either.  (Works fine if I just boot with the 2.2.20 kernel.)  I think
I managed to get 'mp3blaster' (direct OSS) working once, though not
consistently, but 'esd' has never worked.

I'd appreciate pointers, too.

Thanks,
  Rob.